Saturday, April 17, 2010

Bruschetta






From or our last party I first blogged the dessert,  but now it's time to go back to the beginning...one of my favorite appetizers.  Bruschetta.  YUM!







For the crostini:
Hearty Italian bread
1/4 olive oil
3 garlic cloves

Cut the bread into medium-thin slices. Heat the olive oil. Don't heat too hot, because you don't want to burn the garlic. Once heated, remove from heat and crush three cloves into the oil. Using a baster or kitchen paint brush, brush both sides of the bread with the garlic oil. Put bread under broiler and toast it on both sides. Watch it carefully or you'll burn it like I always do! I frequently buy extra bread because I always get so distracted that I'm famous for ruining the first batch!


For the mix:
4-5 Roma tomatoes
1-2 Tblsp finely diced red onion
1 garlic clove
1/3 to 1/2 cups chopped fresh basil
1/3 to 1/2 cups balsamic vinegrette dressing
Mozzarella cheese

Seed and dice the Romas.  I usually cut them lengthwise and then scrape the seeds out with my fingers, it's easier that way and I love getting my hands messy!  Once you've removed the seeds, dice them into small pieces.  Add the finely diced red onion, 1 clove crushed garlic, chopped basil, and the vinnegrette.  I make my vinegrette with red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, honey, and oil, but you can use a store bought version that you like. 

Put the tomato mixture on the bread.  I usually use a fork so I don't get too much of the dressing with the mixture so the bread won't get soggy.  Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and place under broiler and cook until the cheese is bubbly.  Watch it closely so it doesn't burn.



Salute!




1 comment:

  1. Julia--this is amazing!! It made me want to hop into the kitchen with you!!

    I know there are farms around where I am that make raw milk available to those of us interested in real food. I'd love to get a hold of some to make some mozzarella!

    ReplyDelete